BBQ Chicken Salad with Creamy BBQ Cilantro Lime Dressing

I got this recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. My modifications are in *red. I really liked this even though I had doubts about the dressing when I finger tasted it. Dan despises mayonnaise or anything like it, so he didn't really enjoy it. But Dad tried it all and said he liked it, so I consider it a winner!

BBQ Chicken Salad with Creamy BBQ Cilantro Lime Dressing


Creamy BBQ Cilantro Lime Dressing

1 c. mayonnaise, light or regular *I used light Miracle Whip
1/3 c. milk
1/3 c. buttermilk *I just used whole milk here, I’m sure you could just use 2/3 c. milk total
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 garlic clove, finely minced *I used the bottle stuff – 1 tsp. I think?
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper *I just did ¼ tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 to 1/2 c. BBQ sauce *I did the full ½ c.

Combine all the ingredients together and whisk (or shake, if using a jar) vigorously to combine. You could also run this through a blender to make it even more smooth. *I used my hand blender. 
Refrigerate until ready to serve.


BBQ Chicken Salad

*Note: this recipe calls for already cooked chicken so plan ahead! I like to cook my chicken in the crockpot, using frozen chicken breasts and about 1 cup of chicken broth for every 2 chicken breasts. I cook on low for about 4-5 hours and then shred and refrigerate (or freeze) for later.

3 c. cooked, shredded chicken
2 c. BBQ sauce
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, cored and chopped
2 romaine hearts, chopped
1/2 red onion diced
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1.5 c. frozen corn, thawed
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, cubed small or shredded
4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, cubed small or shredded

Combine the cooked chicken and BBQ sauce in a medium bowl.
Refrigerate until ready to use.

In a large bowl, toss together the iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, red onion, cilantro, corn, black beans and cheese.
Toss the mixed salad with about 1/4 to 1/2 c. of the dressing, if desired. Otherwise, you can serve the dressing on the side.
Place salad on plates and top with the prepared BBQ chicken and additional dressing.

Serves 4-6.

1 comment:

  1. That chicken salad looks SO good. It looks like something I had at the Cheesecake Factory! I can't wait to try it!
    Claudia @http://faithfamilyhopeandlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails