Kristen's Mexican Lasagna


I made this the other night even though I didn't have zucchini. My adjustments are typed in BLUE. I want to try it again with zucchini, but if you don't have any, then this recipe is still really yummy. Oh and I didn't have an onion so I just used a little onion flakes. If you don't use produce (haha!) then this is a recipe you can make almost exclusively from things you can store in the pantry - minus the tortillas, cheese, and sour cream. Let me know what you think!
(As seen in Woman's Day.)


Kristen's Mexican Lasagna

Prep Time:  15 minutes
Total Time:  1 hour

INGREDIENTS:
2 tsp. olive oil
1.5 c. chopped onion
1 lb. zucchini, diced (about 3 c.)
2.5 tsp. ground cumin
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with chiles
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed
1 can (11 oz.) corn niblets, drained
1 can (10 oz.) mild enchilada sauce
0.5 c. chopped cilantro
5 (8-in.) whole-wheat flour tortillas
1.25 c. shredded reduced-fat cheddar

Garnish: reduced-fat sour cream

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 400ºF.
Coat a 3-qt round baking dish with nonstick spray.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
Add zucchini and cumin, and sauté 5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
Stir in tomatoes, beans, corn and enchilada sauce; bring to a simmer.  (So I jumped to this step, added the cumin (1 tsp.) and let it simmer.)
Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Put 1 tortilla in baking dish.
Top with 1.5 c. zucchini mixture; sprinkle with 0.25 c. cheese.
Repeat layers 4 times.
(My dish was a round ceramic dish about 8" in diameter, and I had to trim my tortillas. With the trimmed pieces I tossed them with a little EVOO and salt, and baked them - if yours don't burn like mine did, then these might be a nice garnish!)
Cover with foil and bake 20-25 minutes until bubbly around edges and cheese is melted.
Cool 5 minutes.
Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream, if desired.  (I'm not much of a sour cream person, but I'm becoming converted. It is a nice combo with the mild spice that is in this.)
We also ate this with tortilla chips, since a lot doesn't make it on your fork. This is almost like nachos or a burrito or something, just in a different form.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Saw you over at Chic On A String. This recipe looks AMAZING. I will for sure try it out soon! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails