Pumpkin Coffee Cake

(previously seen on my blog)
I've made this twice now...YUMMY!

**I adhered to the "Karen's notes" modifications. One pan works well, you just have to bake closer to the 50 min mark, depending on your oven I suppose. You should also do a little more of the topping if you prefer, it ends up baking down in the top, not really a crumbily topping like I imagined. And I added a little extra pumpkin, cuz I knew I wouldn't have anything else to use it for and I wanted it to taste "pumpkin-y" I don't know if it really made a difference. Probably adding more pumpkin would help it be more moist. But it's usually better the second day anyway. Or I guess you could make 2 cakes! I also used fat-free sour cream cuz that's what I had. I doubt it makes a difference and you still have a stick of butter in there.


Pumpkin Coffee Cake

TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans

CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canned or cooked pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl, combine sugars and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the sour cream, pumpkin and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture. Beat on low just until blended. Spread the batter into two greased and floured 8-in. round cake pans. Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 325 degrees F for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

KAREN'S NOTES:
I used a mixture of cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg for the pumpkin spice and skipped the nuts for you :-). I also used one pan instead of two and I think the thickness was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails